Below you find answers on the most frequently asked questions on the ALSIFLEX technology.
What is Alsiflex?
1. What are the benefits of this new fabric technology?
There are a number of benefits this fabric brings to both the purchaser and the wearer
- Using a blend of sustainable, renewable and recycled fibres, we have created a fabric which offers performance and durability whilst contributing to the conservation of our land and society.
- With a minimum of 25% weft (horizontal) stretch, the fabric will bend, flex and move with your body ensuring that your uniform does not become hindrance to your mobility.
- Using advanced innovations in stretch fibres, our unique stretch fabric is suitable for industrial laundry due to the patented fibre technology used. The fibre is highly durable and capable of withstanding the high heat used within multiple industrial laundry wash and drying conditions.
- The filament weft yarn structure reduces the amount of fibre shed (when compared to a standard staple yarn) during washing, therefore reducing the amount of microfibres which find their way back into our water systems, impacting the health of our natural world.
- The nature of the composition offers a fabric which is quicker drying than our standard polyester/cotton blend fabric. This helps minimise the energy usage with shorter drying times.
- Our choice of yarns allows for a smooth and softer handle right out the packet, ensuring that you are comfortable from the word go!
2. What is the composition of the fabric?
For the 265 and 210 gsm
79% Polyester ( Recycled and Renewable)/ 21% Cotton.
For the 150 gsm
68% Polyester (Recycled & Renewable) / 32% Cotton.
3. How stretchy is the fabric?
With a minimum of 25% weft (horizontal) stretch, this fabric offers unique and a highly visible amount of stretch, yet retains the durability of a standard polyester/coton. With the stretch applied along the width of the fabric, the flexibility is increased when worn, giving fantastic shape retention and ensures that your uniform will stay looking as professional as the day you first wore it.
Performance & Benefits
4. How are the ALSIFLEX fabrics different to available fabrics which contain other types of stretch fibre?
Our patented stretch yarn technology matches existing products on the market in heat performance. It can be industrial washed at 75°C and tunnel dried, not losing any of the outstanding stretch performance. However, the weft stretch performance is greater, at a minimum of 25% and has a much quicker shape recovery when compared to other products, therefore a much better shape retention performance.
Other products have a similar function but can only be washed at lower 60 deg temperatures. Elastane and Lycra stretch fibres are not durable to industrial launder conditions.
5. What is the stretch technology used?
It is a patented yarn technology that utilises the fibre construction at a molecular level to give a permanent stretch extension and recovery.
6. How long will the stretch last, will it wash out?
The stretch properties are permanent. Extensive testing, repeat industrial washing and our own wearer trials have proven that our fabric is suitable for industrial laundry and will have the same stretch and shape retention performance throughout the lifetime of the garment.
7. Has the fabric/products been tested through industrial laundries?
Yes, they have been trialled through several UK laundries and meet the high standards required. Test reports are available if required for further information. We have recently rolled out our new cargo trousers to a large UK company where they are in use for maintenance, drivers and general workers with high praise from the wearers.
9. Can I wash and dry this fabric the same as a conventional polyester/cotton blend?
Alsiflex is similar to conventional Polyester/Cotton blends and thus withstands industrial washing up to 85°C. The special fibre composition contains slightly more polyester and therefore requires less heat and a shorter drying time. For tunnel finishing, we recommend a surface temperature of 130°C and avoid overdrying in all cases.
10. Due to polyester, is the static build up likely to be increased and attract more dust?
The fabric blend has been engineered to contain natural fibres which naturally is neutral to the presence of negative and positive ions found in dry atmospheres. The cotton presence will prevent static build up. We also advise, as the fabric is quick drying there is no longer the need for long drying times (which directly contributes to static build up for all fibre types not just polyester). Therefore, having the added benefit that it is more economical in the amount of energy needed to dry the garments.
11. Will you sweat more due to the polyester content?
No, the fabric composition maintains a natural fibre presence using cotton which helps to manage moisture. Additionally, the stretch yarn technology used has an inherent wicking property and the fabric is quicker drying. Therefore, the small increase in the overall polyester content is offset compared to a standard 65% polyester 35% cotton workwear fabric.
Protecting our planet
12. How does ALSIFLEX impact our environment?
ALSIFLEX is manufactured using a blend of recycled polyester, renewable fibers and cotton from recognised programmes that help reduce environmental impact and support agricultural cooperatives with knowledge, training and controls. This reduces the environmental impact as ALSIFLEX emits 2/3 less CO² than our other comparable conventional workwear fabrics. The majority of the carbon reduction calculated comes from the change of raw materials used. There is also some carbon reduction in the amount of energy consumed during the dyeing and finishing processes, as lower temperatures are used.
- 13. Are the recycled and sustainable elements fully certified?
14. How is the recycled polyester made?
Our recycled polyester is manufactured using pre and post-consumer waste including plastic bottles, reducing the amount of non-perishable waste taken to landfills. This plastic waste is melted down and converted into chips which are then extruded into new durable polyester yarns. The circular nature of this recycling method means that we can start to contribute to the reduce of petroleum manufacture across the globe.
15. Will the products come in environmentally friendly packaging to reflect the ethos of the fabric brand
Yes our plastic packaging is produced from recycled polyester and are recyclable to ensure its not only the products that can help protect our planet.
16. Can this product be full circle recycled at the end of its life?
Unfortunately, not at this stage however our innovation teams are exploring options which we will release once we have an effective and sustainable solution.
17. What products will be available in this fabric?
There are a range of different products across multiple sectors available in Alsiflex. To see our product range, click here
18. Do I need to consider reviewing my chosen size give the new stretch element?
No, our product development team have improved the fit of our new styles and have taken the flexibility of the stretch fabric into consideration so you can continue to order the same sizes but gain for the added benefits of a new fabric.